Road to Oblivion has ‘Something To Say’
ARTIST: Road to Oblivion
ALBUM: “Something To Say”
Hailing from way out west-Johnstown — New York that is — rock band Road To Oblivion has a well-thought out debut CD.
The band is Alexandra Higgins on vocals, Mark Bertini on keyboards, Duane Etienne on bass, Terry Plunkett on guitar and Neil Goes on guitar. The tunes have many different textures, shapes and shades, but that’s not surprising, as Higgins is a painter and sculptor as well.
First off, “Good Day” is loaded with an optimistic vocal and angelic harmonies. One of the best tunes, “Not This Time,” lends itself to a wide open sound that could live well in the jam band world — and a funky groove and pounding piano puts it over the top.
In the circular “Positive Peace & Try,” a nice but nasty solo by Plunkett pushes it along. “Still In Love With You” could be Higgin’s most impressive vocal delivery, as it’s fiery and emotive. Etienne’s inventive bass playing is the secret weapon here.
The band turns down a country road in “Only You” (with guest George Schacher supplying the fiddle fireworks) and finish up with the attitude-laden groove-fest “2 Good 4 U,” the powerhouse “Just Can1t Wait” and the infectious “Passing Day.” The hopeful open-road anthem “Matter of Time,” where Higgins sings “Ride with God and leave it up to him,” takes it home.
Road To Oblivion sure knows how to shift the gears, and though its cornering could be better, this is a promising first effort.
David Malachowski is a guitarist, producer and freelance journalist living in Woodstock. The Freeman seeks CDs by local artists or artists appearing locally for review. Please send all CDs (please no CD-Rs or demo CDs) to Daily Freeman c/o Preview, 79 Hurley Avenue, Kingston, NY 12401. Continued...
See inaccurate information in a story? Other feedback and/or ideas for us to consider? Tell us here.
Location, ST | website.com
National Entertainment Videos
- Law & Disorder (May 24, 2013) (1174)
- Cottekill artist leads very colorful life (video) (944)
- Ex-comptroller charged with embezzling money from town of Ulster business (915)
- Unbeaten Rondout boys lacrosse squad rolling into sectionals (471)
- NY Sen. John Bonacic sponsors bill calling for 3 casinos in Catskills (421)
- Ulster County Executive Michael Hein calls for privatizing adult mental health services (with video, proposed contract) (408)
- Tonight's Law & Disorder: May 23, 2013 (278)
- Group raps Hinchey over change of heart on Cantine Dam viewing (46)
- Hurley man whose death led to drug arrest of Kingston teacher had undiagnosed heart condition, wife and Ulster County prosecutor say (7)
- Hurley man's death not caused by drugs he allegedly received from KHS teacher Matthew DiDonna, Ulster County DA's Office says (6)
- Kingston shelter operator honored by NY Senate (video) (6)
- Unbeaten Rondout boys lacrosse squad rolling into sectionals (5)
- Woodstock Fire Company 3 ex-Treasurer Dale Hughes Jr. sentenced to one year in jail for embezzlement (5)
Recent Activity on Facebook
Life Editor Ivan Lajara talks about living in the Hudson Valley, language, the Web, cats and even politics. But he shouldn't.
Official blog of the WFF. Each year film and music lovers from around the world gather for an innovative variety of films, first-class concerts, workshops, celebrity-led panels, an awards ceremony, and fantastic parties.